Wonderfull ! Is there any Mac version planned ?
GB Studio - Font Generator
A downloadable GB Studio Utility for Windows
"GB Studio" is a visual game builder that allows making real Game Boy games with a user-friendly point 'n click approach. The engine renders game fonts using a png image (ascii.png) that reads a table of characters set in the engine itself. As it can be really tedious (for myself) to create custom fonts every time from scratch or to edit the file inside a graphic software, I have decided to create a tool that makes this process easier.
GB STUDIO FONT GENERATOR: FEATURES AND PURPOSES
This tool is really simple to use: it allows to load a truetype font file (.ttf) and to generate a png formatted to the one used by GBStudio. This way, it would be easier to test various fonts inside your game and to find the one that you think will fit! Describing the features in few points:
- Standalone Executable: It does not need any installation. You unzip the archive and start the software.
- The font is already generated for GB Studio use: the font table and the file format and size generated, It allows you to use it directly inside the engine.
- Lightweight size: The software has been developed in Python and It sizes only around 20/30 MB. Perfectly portable!
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
The tool works really well when using fonts that can be sized at 8px (the size of a square on GB rendering). The tool has been tested using these fonts from Dafont:
FUTURE VERSIONS ADDONS:
The tool already helps to speed the development workflow. However, I was thinking to release a new version in the (hopefully near) future that allows to:
- Chance to add extra vertical spacing;
- Compatibility with .ttf bitmap fonts not sizable at 8px;
Thank you for your support!
In order to download this GB Studio Utility you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $2.99 USD. You will get access to the following files: